Re: 960912: illegal option -c

>To: address@hidden
>From: Luke Anthony Burke <address@hidden>
>Subject: illegal option -c

Hi Luke,

> When doing 'make install' on netcdf-232pl2, I got the following message:
>
> making `install' in directory /usr/people/burke/gmt/net/netcdf-232pl2/fortran
>
>         /sbin/install -c -m 664 netcdf.inc /usr/local/include/netcdf.inc
> /sbin/install: illegal option -c.
> usage: /sbin/install [-m mode] [-u owner] [-g group] [-idb attribute] [-new]
>         [-o] [-O] [-rawidb idbpath] [-root rootpath] [-s] [-t] [-v]
>         optionally, one of [-blk maj,min[,off]] [-chr maj,min[,off]] [-dir]
>                            [-fifo] [-ln path] [-lns path] [-src path]
>         one of [-f dir] [-F dir]        (mandatory unless -dir is used)
>         file1 file2 ... fileN           (pathnames of files to install)
> *** Error code 255 (bu21)

You can replace "/sbin/install -c -m664" with "cp" to just copy the
files to where they should be installed.  But I wouldn't be surprised if
you discovered other problems with that version of netCDF, since it was
never tested on the SGI 64-bit platform.

Instead, I recommend that you upgrade to the current released version of
netCDF 2.4.3 (August 1996) instead of using netCDF 2.3.2 (June 1993),
since the current version builds and installs fine on our SGI IRIX64 6.2
system.

The current released version 2.4.3 is available from:

   ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

and information about it is found at

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

If you are adventuresome and you only need the C interface, you might
want to try the Alpha version of the netCDF-3 C library, also available
from the same directory.  Benefits of netCDF-3 are described in the
release notes document at

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/3.1a.html

Thanks for using netCDF.