960828: Building netCDF 2.4 on Open VMS

David,

In the above message you wrote:

> When trying to build the netcdf package on an alpha we encounter
> the following problem:
>
> $ macro :== macro/nolist
> $ ccc := cc /opt/nodebug/list/show=include/include=[]
> $
> $ ccc XDR.C
>
>     mode_t umask(mode_t __old_mask);
> ...........^
> %CC-E-DECLARATION, Invalid declaration.
> at line number 256 in module STDLIB of text library
> SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]DECC$RTLDEF.TLB;1
>
> We noted in the archive of support mail that others have had this
> same problem, but we could not find a posted solution.  Is there a
> solution?

I'm afraid I don't know if there's a solution or not.  We don't have
access to an Alpha running Open VMS, so it's difficult to investigate
the problem.

You might try using another C compiler.  From the error message, it
appears that the (presumably) typedef `mode_t' is undefined.  This could
be due to the compiler being invoked incorrectly.  On a VAX, the
compiler needs the `/vax' option in order to work correctly.  Do you
have this option?  Alternatively, you might try adding things like
`#include <sys/types.h>" to file `xdr.c' to try and get a definition for
`mode_t' (use the search utility to locate the header file that defines
this typedef).

Please let me know if this helps and especially if you discover a
solution.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>