Re: 960624: netCDF to ascii or binary

Hi,

>    I got several netCDF files from CGD's ftp directory.  I had been
> successfully viewing them using NOAA's FERRET.  But, I need to let my
> model read in the files.  I am thinking about converting those netCDF
> files to ascii files or binary files.  Do you have a program which does this?

The "ncdump" program that comes with the freely available netCDF source
distribution converts netCDF files to ASCII.  See the URL

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

for how to get the source.

The "nc2text" program that comes with the freely available FAN utilities
also provides a similar capability.  See

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html#FAN

for a brief description of FAN with links to more information on FAN and
how to get the source.

I'm not sure what you mean by converting netCDF files to binary files,
since they are already binary files.  Your program can deal directly with
netCDF binary data if you use netCDF library calls to access the data.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu