960530: xdrtest.c: 225: failed assertion `xdr_vector(xdrs, (char *)encounts, count, szof, (xdrproc_t)xdr_enum)'

Philip,

In the above message you wrote:

>       As a first time user I tried to 'make test' and
> got the following:
>
> # make test
>
> making `test' in directory /software/lab/src/GMT/netcdf-2.4.2/src/xdr
>
> gcc -c -O -ieee_with_inexact -I/usr/include/rpc   xdrtest.c
> gcc -o xdrtest -O -ieee_with_inexact xdrtest.o xdr.o xdrfloat.o xdrstdio.o
> xdrarray.o

Interesting, this last line indicates that the configure script decided
that your XDR implementation is broken.  It doesn't decide this on my
Alpha workstation.  I think discovering why will help solve the problem.

Would you please do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level, netCDF, source directory.

    2.  Remove the file `config.cache' if it exists.

    3.  Execute the configure script.  Trap all its output and send it
        to me.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>