Re: 960526: netCDF for Mac

Hi Ray,

> I would like to build the netCDF libraries for the Mac OS.
> Do you have any information on the best way to do this,
> or better, a makefile for use with MPW?  I am using
> the MPW C compiler ("MrC")

Sorry, some of us use Macs a lot for other things, but because we don't
have access to a MacOS development environment or have any MacOS
developers, Unidata doesn't test or maintain a version of netCDF for
Macs.

If getting the binaries libraries would suffice, Chuck Denham (USGS) has
ported and made available a version of the netCDF libraries for Macs.  You
can fetch cdflib.o and xdrlib.o for PowerMac via anonymous FTP from the
directory ftp://crusty.er.usgs.gov/incoming/netcdf-mac/.

If you need to build the libraries and utilities from our sources, it might
be easiest to have the Unix configure script build something close to the
Makefiles you will need, but this would require access to a Unix system
first.  Alternatively, you could look at the "msoft32.mak" files in the
various directories and try to convert those into appropriate MPW
Makefiles.

Since I don't know much about the Makefiles required by MPW, that's about
all I can suggest.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu