Re: 960524: NetCDF installation

>To: address@hidden
>From: Susana Pires Vilanova <address@hidden>

Hi Susana,

> I'm trying to install the library Netcdf-2.4.2 on a PC running Linux and
> I'm having problems. I had already read the notes in yours FAQ (the
> Richard van Hees 's mail) and I tryed to use his CUSTOMIZE file (the only
> diference was the line about FC, where I used FC='' cause I do not have a
> fortran compiler). The configure command had run OK: the problems
> started  typing 'make all'. Aparently something was wrong in ncgen
> directory. I send you a bit of my log file (the error part). Please see
> what you can do for me.
> Best Regards
>               Susana Vilanova
>
> PS- I have a binary file /usr/bin/make

When you invoke "which make", is /usr/bin/make the version that's found?

> My log file
> #####################################################################
> (...)
>
> making `all' in directory /disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/src/ncgen
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/src/ncgen'
> Makefile:348: warning: overriding commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/lib'
> Makefile:345: warning: ignoring old commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/lib'
> Makefile:453: warning: overriding commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/bin'
> Makefile:450: warning: ignoring old commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/bin'
> Makefile:490: warning: overriding commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/include'
> Makefile:487: warning: ignoring old commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/include'
> Makefile:520: warning: overriding commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/etc'
> Makefile:517: warning: ignoring old commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/etc'
> Makefile:598: warning: overriding commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/man'
> Makefile:572: warning: ignoring old commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/man'
> Makefile:634: warning: overriding commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/doc'
> Makefile:631: warning: ignoring old commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/doc'
> Makefile:669: warning: overriding commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/info'
> Makefile:666: warning: ignoring old commands for target
> `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/info'
> gcc -c -m486 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -I../libsrc  main.c
> gcc -c -m486 -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -I../libsrc  load.c
> lex ncgen.l
> mv lex.yy.c ncgenyy.c
> yacc -d ncgen.y
> make: /usr/bin/make: cannot execute binary file
> make[1]: *** [ncgentab.c] Error 126
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/disk2/gmt/netcdf-2.4.2/src/ncgen'
> make: *** [ncgen/all] Error 1

If you change to the ncgen directory and explicitly invoke

  yacc -d ncgen.y

what is the result?  It appears from the above that this may be causing the
error, so perhaps "yacc" isn't found on your execution path and you need to
use "bison" instead, by setting the YACC macro (but the configure script
should have set this correctly).  If the yacc command works OK, I'm not
sure what the error message

   make: /usr/bin/make: cannot execute binary file

means, or why make would be trying to invoke /usr/bin/make recursively in
the ncgen directory.  We still don't have access to a Linux system here, so
can't reproduce the error.  In this case, try running "make clean" in the
ncgen directory, and then send us the output of "make -n all" in that
directory.  Thanks.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu