Re: netCDF generalized hyperslab feedback request

> From: "David S." <address@hidden>
> To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
> Cc: Gary Fay <address@hidden>, Lance Eric Greenwade <address@hidden>,
>         John Sheldon <address@hidden>, Bill Roberts <address@hidden>,
>         address@hidden, address@hidden
> Subject: Re: netCDF generalized hyperslab feedback request

Hi David,

> I don't think that you need to change the meaning of the 'imap' argument
> to the generalized hyperslab retrieval routine, just explain it better.
> The description of 'imap' and the example of its use in the current
> netCDF manual are ridiculously obtuse.  After much fiddling around with
> 'imap', I finally understand it (I think), and the manual's presentation
> makes some sense.  But the manual is woefully inadequate for learning how
> to use it in the first place.  You need a longer and clearer explanation of
> 'imap', and a series of examples of its use: from a simple application to
> something more complicated to something elaborate like the current example.
>
> The generalized hyperslab retrieval is difficult to use because it's so
> poorly documented.  Changing the meaning of 'imap' from bytes to elements
> won't make it any easier to use unless you explain it better.

When you mention the "current netCDF manual", are you referring to the
version 2.4 manual dated February 1996, or the previous 2.3 version, dated
April 1993?

The reason I ask is that the discussion of "generalized hyperslab access"
was significantly changed in the latest version, which no longer even uses
the term "hyperslab" anywhere.  The discussion of what is now called "mapped
array access" may still be obtuse, but we need to know for sure that the
documentation problems you're reporting are with the current version.

In case you don't have a user's guide handy, the new material on mapped
array access is at:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guide_5.html#SEC26
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guide_5.html#SEC29
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/guide_9.html#SEC62

Thanks.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu