960412: netcdf installation

Dear Mike,

In the above message you wrote:

>       Hello again.  I did the following after ftping the new netcdf :
>
>       ./configure --prefix=/home/notaro/netcdf-2.4.1/src
>
> The attached files resulted...that seems fine.

Not really.  As I intended to indicate in my previous message, the
`prefix' option should reference the parent directory of the top-level
source directory and not the top-level source directory itself.  Thus
you should have invoked the configure script as follows:

    ./configure --prefix=/home/notaro/netcdf-2.4.1

> Then I typed
>       make
> and I got the following error :
>
> make: Warning: Can't find `make.rules': No such file or directory
> make: Fatal error: No arguments to build.
>
> Do you know what went wrong?

What directory were you in when you typed `make'?

Also, I requested the *output* from running the configure script -- not
the configure script itself.

Would you please do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory
        (/home/notaro/netcdf-2.4.1/src).

    2.  Remove the file `config.cache' if it exists.

    3.  Execute the following command:

            ./configure --prefix=/home/notaro/netcdf-2.4.1

        Trap the *output* from the above command and send it to me.

    4.  Execute the command `make'.  Trap the output and send it to me.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>