Re: 960409: MAC netcdf

Hi Rosanne,

> Hello, I am trying to read a file that I have downloaded from the
> COADS database. I have been told that it can be opened with unidata0
> netcdf..I am using a macintosh computer for this purpose...Can you tell
> me which of the netcdf files I should download, and whether I need to
> compile/link any source code or do anything else to get it to work?

Unidata doesn't test or maintain a version of netCDF for Macintoshes, but
see the files in the directory
    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/contrib/mac/
for some contributed notes and Macintosh MPW makefiles for porting netCDF to
an Apple Macintosh.

These files are mostly pretty old (the most recent is September 1993),
though the netcdf format has not changed since 1988.  We have recently
released netCDF 2.4, which is more portable than the previous version, but I
haven't heard of anyone porting netCDF 2.4 to MacOS yet.  More information
is available at the URL:

   http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

If you can't find anything suitable, as a last resort you might try posting
a question about whether anyone has done a recent Macintosh port of the
netCDF library to the mailing list

   address@hidden

I think there are about 600 people who are on this mailing list.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu