960328: netCDF 2.4.1 for Unicos 7.0.6

John,

In the above message you wrote:

> I think the "File exists" mesage was simply a consequence of my
> invoking cdftest at the command line

That's right (sheesh -- I should have known).

> When I did a "unset noclobber" the "File exists" message went away
> and I simply feel thru to the second problem (below).
>
> In case it *does* matter, "make" uses the Bourne shell...

It doesn't (now ;-).

> > Which I/O module are you using (what is the value of the XDRFILE macro
> > in file `libsrc/Makefile')?
>
> XDRFILE         = xdrffio

The problem would appear to be at line 285 of file libsrc/xdrffio.c:

    fd = ffopens(path, fmode, 0666, 0, &stat, ControlString) ;

The `fmode' argument should cause the file `test.nc' to be clobbered --
but it apparently isn't.  Would you please put some diagnostics after
this line to print out the values of the arguments.  Try looking up
`ffopens()' in your manual pages and seeing if the arguments make sense
(in particular, `fmode' should have bits O_CREAT and O_TRUNC set).

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>