960328: netCDF 2.4.1 for Unicos 7.0.6

John,

In the above message you wrote:

> OK, the first try:
>
>    ./cdftest > cdftest_out.new
>
> gave me this:
>
>    cdftest_out.new: File exists.
>
> with a exit status of "1". File "cdftest_out.new" was empty.

It appears that the shell being used by the make(1) utility has some
sort of "noclobber" feature: it won't allow I/O redirection into an
existing file.  Check your make(1) manual page for what shell it uses
and then check the manual page on that shell to see if there's some way
to disable this (non-standard) "feature".

> Next, I removed file "cdftest_out.new" an did this again:
>
>    ./cdftest > cdftest_out.new
>
> which gave me this in the window:
>
>    nccreate: filename "test.nc"
>    trying again
>    nccreate: filename "test.nc"
>    nccreate: couldn't remove filename "test.nc": No such file or directory
>
> and file "cdftest_out.new" was again empty.

This is a bit more bizarre.  The reason `cdftest' tries twice to open
file `test.nc' is because it tries first with NC_NOCLOBBER set and, if
that doesn't work, tries again with NC_CLOBBER set.  Yet the error
message indicates that the file doesn't exist.  Pequliar.

Which I/O module are you using (what is the value of the XDRFILE macro
in file `libsrc/Makefile')?

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>