960320: help with install

>From: address@hidden (michele petrie)

Michele,

>I seem to be having a bit of a problem with my netcdf install.
>I am trying to install 2.4.1 on a Sun workstation running 2.5
>
>When I run make "test" I get the following:
>
>f77 -o ftest ftest.o -L../libsrc -lnetcdf
>Undefined                       first referenced
> symbol                             in file
>xdr_enum                            ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
>xdr_float                           ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
>xdr_int                             ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
>xdr_vector                          ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(sharray.o)
>xdr_u_long                          ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
>xdr_double                          ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
>xdr_long                            ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(dim.o)
>xdr_opaque                          ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
>ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to ftest
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ftest'
>Current working directory /seven/cdf/netcdf-2.4.1/src/fortran
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `fortran/test'
>
>Can you recommend a solution?

The errors listed indicate that the xdr routines were not found at link
time.  For SunOS 2.x (Solaris) systems, the configure script should have
put the extra '-lnsl' library to search after '-lnetcdf'.  Your output
above seems to indicate that it did not (or something else happened).
I recommend rerunning configure after cleaning up or editing the makefile
in the fortran subdirectory to include search of the nsl library.

>Thanks,
>
>Michele Petrie
>Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 0221
>La Jolla, CA 92093

Tom Yoksas