960315: Building NETCDF on VMS

Kevin,

[Are you the Kevin who was an MPO graduate student at RSMAS?]

In the above message you wrote:

> My first question is a repost.
>
> I'm struggling to get netcdf up under OpenVMS 6.2 Alpha and I've run
> into the following problem.
>
> I'm currently trying to run verification prg ftest.for in
> [...src.fortran.vms] and it's failing in the test fills portion of the
> program.  It's successful for shorts,longs, and bytes, but fails for
> floats and dbles (giving 0's).  It's interesting in that the ncvgt1
> routine works correctly when operating on a file (test.nc) which
> ftest.for creates itself with ncvpt1.  Since the test fills part uses
> the file fills.nc, is there any way for me to verify that fills.nc
> is indeed intact, and that I'm not trying to match garbage.  The
> ncvpt1/ncvgt1 combo seems to work okay for file test.nc.

Do you have access to a UNIX system?  If so, then you could copy
fills.nc there and either compare it to the one from the netCDF
distribution or use ncdump on the UNIX system to examine the file.
The output should look like this:

    % ncdump fills.nc
    netcdf fills {
    dimensions:
            n = 2 ;
    variables:
            double d(n) ;
            float f(n) ;
            long l(n) ;
            short s(n) ;
            byte b(n) ;

    data:

     d = 1, _ ;

     f = 1 , _ ;

     l = 1, _ ;

     s = 1, _ ;

     b = 1, -127 ;
    }

> Also, I've encountered the following when compiling
> ncdump.c in the [.src.ncdump] directory:
>
> $ ccc NCDUMP.C
>
>           if (isprint(uc = *gp.cp++ & 0377))
> ..............^
> %CC-E-NEEDLVALUE, In this statement, "(int)uc" is not an
> lvalue, but occurs in a
>  context that requires one.
> at line number 175 in file
> SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB.OCEAN.NETCDF-2_4.SRC.NCDUMP]NCDUMP
> .C;1
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> - - -Kevin
> - - ---------------------------------------------------
> Kevin E. Kohler   <address@hidden>
> Senior Programmer/Coordinator of Computing Services
> Nova Southeastern University Oceanographic Center
> 8000 North Ocean Drive  Dania, Florida  33004
> Ph:  954.920.1909    Fax: 305.947.8559

It's possible that the isprint() function on your system is acutally a
macro (this would be non-standard).  Would ypu please send me the above
line after the source code has been passed through the C preprocessor,
e.g.

    $ cc/preprocess_only=ncdump.i/incl=[-.libsrc] ncdump.i

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>