Re: 960229: /sbin/install -c

>From: address@hidden (Daisuke Kohda)

Hi,

> When I run "make install" while I install netCDF to Iris Indy (IRIX 5.3).,
> I found an error as below,
>
> - -------------
> make install
>
> making `install' in directory /usr/nmr/GMT/netcdf-232pl2/xdr
>

> returning to directory /usr/nmr/GMT/netcdf-232pl2
>

> making `install' in directory /usr/nmr/GMT/netcdf-232pl2/fortran
>
>         /sbin/install -c -m 664 netcdf.inc /usr/nmr/GMT/include/netcdf.inc
> /sbin/install: illegal option -c.
> usage: /sbin/install [-m mode] [-u owner] [-g group] [-idb attribute] [-new]
>         [-o] [-O] [-rawidb idbpath] [-root rootpath] [-s] [-t] [-v]
>         optionally, one of [-blk maj,min[,off]] [-chr maj,min[,off]] [-dir]
>                            [-fifo] [-ln path] [-lns path] [-src path]
>         one of [-f dir] [-F dir]        (mandatory unless -dir is used)
>         file1 file2 ... fileN           (pathnames of files to install)
> *** Error code 255 (bu21)
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
>
> - -------------------
>
> I read man page of "install", and noticed that "install" does
> not have -c option, and -f/-F option is mandatory.
> I checked the man page of IRIX 4.0.5, but it was the same as
> IRIX 5.3.

This is fixed in the latest release of netCDF version 2.4 (available from

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

But if you want to install the version 2.3.2pl2 that you have, try
overriding the INSTALL definition that configure produces by either defining
INSTALL in the CUSTOMIZE file or as an environment variable before running
`configure' or in the config.status script produced by `configure'.  INSTALL
should be defined as

        /usr/bin/X11/bsdinst

which, according to the IRIX 5.2 man pages is an install that uses BSD-style
arguments.  Please let me know if this doesn't work.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu