Re: 960213: help installing netCDF

>From: Jeremy=address@hidden

Hi Jeremy,

> I'm not sure as to the date of the web page where I got this email
> address, but here goes:
>
> I am trying to install netCDF (for the eventual installation of GMT ) on
> an SGI Indigo2 running IRIX 5.3.  When I try to make "install," I get an
> error message because of the -c option after the /sbin/install command as
> defined in Makefile.  The man pages don't list -c as an option for this
> command. What does this option specify, and how can I get around this? I'm
> not very experienced in installing in Unix.  I would really appreciate any
> help that you could give me.

The netCDF 2.3.2 software assumed a BSD-style install as was used with
earlier versions of IRIX, but with IRIX 5.2 and later, the flags on the
install utility changed.  You need to define the INSTALL configuration
variable before building netCDF from the source distribution.  How to do
this is explained in the netCDF installation document. INSTALL should be
defined as

     /usr/bin/X11/bsdinst

which, according to the IRIX man pages is an install that uses BSD-style
arguments. Then rerun the configure script and redo the make all.

The netCDF 2.4 version, currently in beta-test, fixes this problem.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu