Re: 960213: Installing GMT on an SGI Indy Workstation

>To:       "smtp: address@hidden" <address@hidden> (Return requested)
>From: "Aldridge, David F" <address@hidden>

Hi David,

> We are experiencing difficulties installing GMT on an SGI Indy
> Workstation with IRIX version 5.3 operating system.  We can
> execute the Makefile, but cannot execute the install command
> subsequently.   Have you experienced this problem, and do you
> have any advice?

Yes, the netCDF 2.3 version assumed a BSD-style install as was used with
earlier versions of IRIX, but with IRIX 5.2, the flags on the install
utility changed.  you need to define the INSTALL configuration variable
before building netCDF from the source distribution.  How to do this is
explained in the netCDF installation document. INSTALL should be defined as

     /usr/bin/X11/bsdinst

which, according to the IRIX 5.2 man pages is an install that uses BSD-style
arguments. Then rerun the configure script and redo the make all.

The netCDF 2.4 version, currently in beta-test, fixes this problem.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu