960118: NETCDF fortran errors with linux

Darin,

In the above message you wrote:

> I put in the {type *,'xxxx=',xxx} statements, and you are right,
> the fortran ftest.f is calling ncddef with all null arguments.
> Are these explicitly typed in the test code?

Yes.  In ftest.src (alias ftest.f) they are initialized in a FORTRAN
BLOCK DATA statement.  Your translated version appears to get the types
right, but doesn't appear to initialize them.  The function ftnblkd()
in the translated code appears to contain sufficient information to
allow another function to correctly initialize the values (providing
the variables DATAVAL and DATAVAR are global) . I would guess that the
function ftnini() should be responsible for initializing the variables.
It doesn't appear to be doing its job.

At this point, I'd be leary of all static and BLOCK DATA variable
initializations in the translated code.

> When I get a chance, I'll look further.

Please do.  And please let me know what you discover.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>