951206: Bug report on netCDF2.4

Asri,

In the above message you wrote:

> In reading a large (18MB) netCDF file (but very simple in structure),
> I experienced very large difference in ncvgt response time
> when compiling with v2.4 library compared to v2.3.
>    I am using Fortran90 on a Cray J90. It was tested on both the
> 1st & 2nd beta version of v2.4 and there is no difference.
>
> Are you already aware of this problem?. I'll wait for your reply
> before sending further information you may request.

This could be due to a bug in UNICOS's uname(1) utility, which is used
by the configure script.  Would you please do the following:

    1.  Become the user who built the netCDF package;

    2.  Go to the top-level netCDF directroy;

    3.  Send me the output from executing the following commands:

            grep XDRFILE config.status
            echo $OS
            uname -a

> The same data file when read on a SGI workstation with IDL package
> gave lightning response.

Glad to hear it (we're doing something right ;-).

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>