Re: 951205: netCDF on LINUX: help

Dear Dr. La Porto

In the above message you wrote:

> I am trying to install the netcdf-2.3.2 package on my Linux box but I got
> an error as shown in the following log.
> The environment variables I used are:
>
> CC=gcc
> CPPFLAGS=
> prefix=/usr/local
> fc=

The above should probably be FC (the package does not use fc).

> OS=sunos (since linux does not appear).

I would probably be better to copy fortran/sunos4.m4 to
fortran/linux.m4., but the above might also work.

> What does happen ?
> Is linux supported by netCDF ?

Linux is not "officially" supported because we do not have a Linux
system.  We have attempted, however, to make the package reasonably
portable.

> - ------------------log file begins--------------------
> making `all' in directory /netcdf-2.3.2/ncgen
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/netcdf-2.3.2/ncgen'
> gcc -O -c -I../libsrc  -O main.c
> gcc -O -c -I../libsrc  -O generate.c
> gcc -O -c -I../libsrc  -O load.c
> lex ncgen.l
> mv lex.yy.c ncgenyy.c
> yacc -d ncgen.y
> make: /usr/bin/make: cannot execute binary file
> make[1]: *** [ncgentab.c] Error 126
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/netcdf-2.3.2/ncgen'
> make: *** [ncgen/all] Error 1

It would appear that the make(1) utility could not execute the yacc(1)
utility.  Is there something wrong with the yacc(1) file?  I suggest
that you try manually executing the command `yacc -d ncgen.y' in the
ncgen/ subdirectory.

Please inform me of your progress.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>