951025: netCDF ragged array support

Bryan,

In the above message you wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am very interested in the netCDF format, but have a pressing need on a
> sizeable project to deal with storage/retrieval of variable-length array
> sequences - a set of variable-order speech feature vectors, to be
> specific.  I need random access to the same as well.
>
> Naturally, seeing your mention of support for ragged arrays/structures
> as a "future work" item is intriguing, but I need to decide on a file
> format pretty quickly.  I'm afraid if netCDF goes by the boards now, it
> will be hard to redirect toward it later once much data has been
> processed and file conversion becomes necessary.
>
> Could you give me an idea of how far you've gotten with ragged array
> support?  If you're ready for beta testing, we would be very interested.
>
> Thanks in advance for the information.
>
> Bryan

We have not yet begun to implement support for ragged arrays.  The
concept (and a possible implementation) was developed by Harvey Davies
in consultation with us.  Harvey is coming here about a week for,
I believe, five months, to work on ragged array support and other
netCDF-related things.

I'm afraid that's as time-specific as I can be.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>