Re: Bug fixes for netcdf-2.4 on NT

Don,

>       The following changes were required to get 2.4 running under
> Windows NT 3.51 using Visual C++ 2.2 and Fortran Powerstation 1.0.  The
> '*.mak' files provided are for use within these systems.  I haven't tested
> everything, but the code does pass nctest, ncdump tests, and ncgen tests.
>
> I have provided a patch file for some of the changes and a uuencoded gzip'd
> tar file for major changes and additional files required.  I have not tried
> to create nmake files that will work outside of these systems.

I've incorporated your changes along with a few others into a netCDF 2.4
beta2 release, which I'll be announcing later today, but it's already
available on FTP.  There was one change I had to make that I think you may
want to know about.  I moved your changes to libsrc/local_nc.h to
libsrc/local_nc.h.in as well, because the former is regenerated from the
latter as part of the configure process that creates platform-specific
Makefiles on Unix systems.  If these changes are not in local_nc.h.in, then
someone who gets the distribution and builds it on a Unix system first
before trying it to make it on Windows NT will have the local_nc.h file with
the Windows NT changes in it overwritten, so things won't work right.

Incidentally, in acknowledging your help in the release notes, I wrote:

    New platforms supported:
       * Windows NT (thanks to Tomas Johannesson, National Energy Authority,
         Iceland and Donald Denbo, Pacific Northwest Laboratory)

But I notice your home page lists your institution as "Battelle Marine
Sciences Laboratory".  If you have a strong preference, I'll make sure it
reads that way.

--Russ

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu