Re: 950919: netCDF installation

Hi Dan,

>       I'm trying to install netCDF on my research groups
> Silicon Graphics machine and having some trouble.  I got
> the version for the HDF/netCDF merger from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu
>
> The problem I'm having is that I can't get the utility made.
> I followed the instructions written by Russ Rew and company,
> executed the configure command without any problem (using
> the default CUSTOMIZE file).  When I then tried the
> 'make all' command I got these messages:
>         cc -c   -DNDEBUG -DHDF -g -I/hdf/install/include -DIRIS4 -cckr array.c
> cfe: Error: ./local_nc.h: 47: Cannot open file hdf.h for #include
> cfe: Error: ./local_nc.h: 48: Cannot open file vg.h for #include
> cfe: Error: ./local_nc.h: 49: Cannot open file herr.h for #include
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)

It appears that you need to make and install the HDF library before this
step.  All the include files mentioned above are part of HDF, and evidently
they are not in the /hdf/install/include directory, where the compile
command indicates they were expected to have been installed.

Your question could be answered definitively by someone at NCSA who supports
HDF (address@hidden).  All I can suggest is that you carefully follow
the documented order of building the netCDF/HDF software, using the
"configure" script in the top-level directory and running "make" from there,
as the netCDF library code in this merger is layered on top of and therefor
not independent of the HDF software.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu