Re: 950913: MAX_NC_VARS

Hi Shiming,

> If MAX_NC_VARS (in local_nc.h) is increased to a larger number,
> say 20,000, do you see any problems it might cause?

I assume you mean "netcdf.h" rather than "local_nc.h", since MAX_NC_VARS is
defined in netcdf.h.

There should be no problem with increasing this for local use.

If you create a file that has, say, 10000 variables, it's possible that
utilities written using a value of 512 for MAX_NC_VARS, for example
Fortran-77 utilities that must allocate arrays statically by using a maximum
array size, might have trouble reading your netCDF files.

I'll check if other people have found the 512 variable per file limit too
small and consider increasing MAX_NC_VARS in the next release.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu