Re: 950830: netCDF & GMT - NEED HELP

>From: address@hidden (David Tarboton)

Hi David,

> I today downloaded and attempter to install netCDF on my Sun Sparcstation
> 20 running Solaris 2.4.  I have Sun's C and Fortran compilers (Sparkworks
> 3.0.1).
>
> This was so as to use the Generic mapping tools, (GMT) software announced
> in the August 15, EOS which needs netCDF.
>
> Following the instructions in the file INSTALL, I did
> ./configure   (No changes to defaults)
> make all >&! log &
> make test
> I got errors from "make all" then "make test".  These are documented below.
> Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
>
> FROM FILE LOG THAT LOGGED MAKE ALL OUTPUT
>
> making `all' in directory /home/dtarb/gmt/netcdf-232pl2/port
>
> cc -c -I. -DNDEBUG -Dconst= -O uddummy.c

>From the "-Dconst=" in the above, it appears that you aren't really using
the Sun SPARCompiler, but instead something like /usr/ucb/cc.  When you run

    which cc

from your shell, do you get /usr/ucb/cc (a script for a BSD compatibility
package that doesn't seem to work very well with netCDF) or something like
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc (the SPARCompiler)?

If the former, you'll have to change your PATH so that /opt/SUNWspro/bin/
(or wherever) comes before /usr/ucb, or find some other way to make sure the
right compiler is being invoked.

Then you'll need to run "make distclean" and start over from the "configure"
step so that the Makefiles get regenerated with "configure" using the Sun
compiler.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu