950810: netcdf

Dear Gabriel ,

In the above message you wrote:

> We installed succesfully netcdf software in digital and sun workstations.
> We use netcdf for using the "GMT" software for maps and the
> UCLA atmospheric general circulation model.
>
> We tried to compile netcdf in "Bull" machines, that are said to
> be "equivalent" to the IBM RC6000.
>
> We failed in "make install', this was the message:
>
> making `install' in directory /home/agcm/netcdf-2.3.2/fortran
>
> make: 1254-002 Cannot find a rule to create target /include from dependencies.
> Stop.
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

It looks like the configure script decided to install the netCDF package
off of `/' rather than something reasonable (e.g. `/usr/local/netcdf').  The
location of the installation point is set by the `prefix' variable when
the configure script is run, e.g.

    ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf

Would you please start from scratch by executing the following commands:

    make distclean
    rm config.cache

Then, would you please send me the output from executing the following
commands:

    ./configure --prefix=<your installation point for the netCDF package>
    make

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>