950801: specification of netCDF

>From: Brian Gough <address@hidden>

Brian,

>Is there a document (other than the source code) which gives a precise
>specification of the netCDF file format?

No.  The reason for this is that the format of the data on disk is not
guaranteed by the netCDF.  In fact, we reserve the right to change how
the data is actually stored so that we can optomize the netCDF interface
libraries when needed.  This may seem strange until you realize that
the netCDF defines an interface library for access of scientific data and
meta data.  It is not intended to describe/define how the bits representing
the data actually look in a disk file.

>Thanks

I hope that this helps...

>Brian Gough