Re: 950731: Installation of NetCDF at Australian Geological Survey

>From: Riffat Mohsin <address@hidden>

Hi Riffat,

> We are trying to install this package but have struck into
> problems. Please help, the message after running ./configure and "make all
> >&! log &" is listed below.
> making `all' in directory /export/mpsr/pt7g/gmt/netcdf-232pl2/port
>
> cc -c -I. -DNDEBUG -DNO_HAVE_PROTOTYPES -Dconst= -DNO_STDARG -DNO_STRERROR -o
> uddummy.c

> Listing of Customization file is below
> # This file is for customizing the configuation process performed by
> # `./configuration'.  This file consists of sh(1) variable-definition lines.
> # The value given to those variables by this file will override their default
> # values.
> #
> # You can also customize the configuration process via the environment
> # variables seen by ./configure.  For example:
> #
> #     In csh(1):
> #         % setenv CC acc
> #         % setenv CFLAGS -g
> #         % ./configure
> #
> #     In sh(1):
> #         $ CC=acc CFLAGS=-g ./configure
> #
> # Variables in this file override the environmental ones.
> #
> #############################################################################
> #
> # Type of C compiler (default is `cc'):
>  CC=cc
> #
> # C compiler flags (default is `-O'):
>  CFLAGS=-o

The problem is that you have set

 CFLAGS=-o

in your customization file.  This is *very* different from the default
CFLAGS=-O, which turns on optimization.  The "-o" flag instead uses the
following argument as the name of a file into which to write the compiled
object file.  This will result in no .o object files created, and may write
over source files, depending on how you compiler works.  I recommend that
you delete your current copy of the source distribution, because some of the
source files may have been overwritten, and get another new copy of the
netCDF distribution.  Then when you build and install it, you can just
accept the defaults in the CUSTOMIZE file, rather than retyping them and
risking a typo like "-o" instead of "-O".  If you don't define CFLAGS, it
automatically gets the correct default definition of "-O".

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu