950714: MSDOS and ncgen

>From: address@hidden

Emily,

>     Thanks for your prompt assistance on this.

No problem.

re: amount of memory needed for ncgen
>I tried this and it did help, but not quite enough.  For example, on
>one file when my system is fully loaded, I got the error at line 302.
>When I booted with a clean system I got the error at line 312.  On
>another file, I originally got the error at line 282, and with a clean
>system at line 340. The largest CDL file that I have so far has 57866
>bytes.

I still believe that the problem is ncgen does not have enough memory to
run in.

>My system has 16 MB of memory.  Is ncgen limited to the 640 kB of
>conventional memory, or can it use extended memory?

It is limited to use of conventional memory.

>If the former is true, are there any plans soon to allow it to use
>extended memory?

There are no plans on working on ncgen per se.  I believe that you may
be able to run ncgen on a system on which you are running a memory manager
(a system that moves routines to extended memory), but I am not sure since
we don't have this kind of environment here at Unidata.

>If the latter is true, how much extended memory do I need?

This depends on what is contained in the CDL.  ncgen needs to be able to
malloc memory to store array values, etc.  If you have large arrays that
need to be initialized with data, then you will need a lot of memory.

Can you provide us with the CDL that you are using?  What are you trying
to produce with ncgen (data file, or source code)?  With either, you could
produce what you want on a more capable system (e.g. Unix, OS/2) and then
use the file/code in DOS.

Tom Yoksas