Re: 950717: appending to a netCDF using C++ interface

>From: address@hidden (Vivian Chao)

Hi Vivian,

> Question: How does one append data to an existing netcdf file using the c++
> interface?  We get data periodically, so it must be stored periodically.
> I have tried to use set_cur() to move to the end of the file, but
> this causes the last existing record to be overwritten.  Is there another
> function that will put the cursor beyond the last record?  We have considered
> various hacks around this problem:  1) write one extra dummy record at the
> end of the file 2) Reading the last record (hopefully, this advances the
> cursor)and writing the new records
> 3) Reading and rewriting the last record plus the new ones and
> 4) Reading and rewriting all the old records
> plus the new ones.  All of these seem to be fairly ugly solutions.

This bug in the C++ interface was fixed by the patch number 4 for netCDF
2.3.2.  You can obtain this patch from

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/2.3.2-patch4

or you can get an already-patched version of the whole source distribution
from

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf-232pl4.tar.Z

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu