Re: NetCDF question

Hi Robert,

> I have been told that NetCDF files have an internal restriction of 2
> gigabytes per file, on any architecture (even those with 64 bit
> filesystems).  Can you confirm or deny this restriction?

Confirmed.  The type for direct access offsets in the file is a signed
32-bit integer, which restricts the offsets to 2 Gbytes.  This restriction
would be relatively easy to remove in the library, but the resulting data
files would not be portable to architectures that didn't support a 64-bit
integer type, so they would not be very useful.  One of the features of
netCDF files is their portability to a wide range of platforms, including
PCs. workstations, and supercomputers.  So we probably won't lift this size
restriction until no netCDF users are using a machine without a 64-bit
integer type.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu