950621: netCDF on a Cray

In the above message you wrote:

> I have tried to install netCDF on a cray-ymp and I've a problem
> with m4 to make the jackets.

>From the `known problems' page of the netCDF Web page
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf):

    Problem Making Fortran Jackets on CRAY Platforms

    Some users have reported an error message from the m4 in building
    the Fortran netCDF interface on CRAY systems:

        making `all' in directory /home/ymp8/rts/netcdf/netcdf-232pl2/fortran

                ./fortc -L . -O unicos common.inc > netcdf.inc
                ./fortc -L . -O unicos jackets.src > jackets.c

        m4:-:529 can't open file

    The problem is that, at least on some CRAY systems, m4 won't accept
    the "-" argument to mean read from standard input. Here are two
    workarounds that CRAY sites have found successful:

       1. Manually get around the m4 problem by using a temporary
          file. In netcdf/fortran/fortc, replace the lines

                 sed -f $LibDir/fortc1.sed $InFiles |
                     m4 $LibDir/common.m4 $LibDir/$OS.m4 - |
                     sed -f $LibDir/fortc2.sed

         with

                 sed -f $LibDir/fortc1.sed $InFiles > /tmp/fortcin.m4
                     m4 $LibDir/common.m4 $LibDir/$OS.m4 /tmp/fortcin.m4 |
                     sed -f $LibDir/fortc2.sed

         delete the old netcdf/fortran/jackets.c file, and rerun the
         "make all". Or

       2. Build the necessary netcdf/fortran/jackets.c file for UNICOS
          on a different platform, using the command ./fortc -L .
          -O unicos jackets.src > jackets.c then copy the resulting
          jackets.c back to the CRAY and run make again. Since the
          modification time on this jackets.c should be later than on
          jackets.src, the fortc that invokes the Cray m4 won't be used.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>