Re: 950406: Problems installing netCDF

> >From: Rowan Sutton <address@hidden>

Hi Rowan,

> I've been having some difficulty installing netCDF on a CRAY YMP8.
> Perhaps you can help?
>
> I have followed the installation instructions, including 'setenv FC cf77'
> at the beginning to set the Fortran compiler.
> The early stages seem to proceed O.K., but the there are problems in the
> testing stage.  I attach the output from 'make test'.
>
> Any assistance would be much appreciated

Everything looks fine up to the Fortran interface test:

> making `test' in directory /home/ymp8/rts/netcdf/netcdf-232pl2/fortran
>
>       ar rcuv ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a jackets.o

This is supposed to add the Fortran interface modules in jackets.c, such as
NCACPY, NCADEL, NCAGT, ... to the library archive in ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a.
Apparently this didn't work correctly, because the subsequent link step
shows they aren't found.  I don't know enough about UNICOS or the Cray
linker/loader to know what happened.  You might check what compiled modules
are actually in jackets.o at this point, and whether they got added to the
end of ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a.

> cf77 ftest.o -L../libsrc -lnetcdf -o ftest
>  ldr-133 cf77: CAUTION
>      Unsatisfied external references have been encountered.
>
>  Unsatisfied external references
>  Entry name      Modules referencing entry
>
>  NCACPY          TNCACPY
>  NCADEL          TNCADEL
>  NCAGT           TNCACPY  TNCAGT

If jackets.o contains the missing modules but they aren't in
../libsrc/libnetcdf.a, a workaround would be to explicitly add jackets.o to
the above compile line:

    cf77 ftest.o -L../libsrc -lnetcdf jackets.o -o ftest

by editing thee Makefile (or Makefile.in and then rerunning configure to
remake the Makefile).

A previous user had reported there was a bug in m4 under Unicos that made it
fail to work in generating the file fortran/jackets.c from
fortran/jackets.src, which would cause later problems with jackets.c to
produce jackets.o.  That user found they could get jackets.c by using a
different version of m4.  If you got any errors in compiling jackets.c, that
might be the problem.

You might also search our replies to netCDF support questions for "cray", by
aiming a WWW browser at the netCDF home page at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/

and clicking on the first Search option at the bottom.

Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/                          Boulder, CO 80307-3000