950330: MSDOS netCDF FTP problems

>From: address@hidden

Mark,

>       I am trying to get ncdump.exe to my machine so that I can use it to
>convert several netcdf files to ASCII. Despite several attempts, I am having
>a couple of problems.
>
>(1) I cannot get the files netcdf.zip and readme from the msdos directory to
>my machine via ftp. The rest of the files seem to be transfered with no proble
> msalthough ncdump hasn't yet worked.

I just did an FTP and transferred NETCDF.ZIP and README with no problem:

ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
anonymous
yoksas
cd pub/netcdf/msdos
bin
get NETCDF.ZIP
get README

Are you sure that you used upper case names?

>(2) Since I couldn't get readme, I tried to run the executable program by
>placing it (and the library files) in a directory on my D drive and going
>from the dos prompt. I typed "ncdump input.file output.file" and my machine
>crashed.

Are you sure that you transferred the file in binary mode?  Additionally,
the format for doing an ncdump and saving the output would be:

ncdump input.file > output.file

>Is this because I am running version 6.2 of DOS or because I have
>not changed my autoexec file so that the windows memory manager is still
>active?

I am not sure, but I doubt it.  I would guess that the problem is that
ncdump.exe was transferred in ASCII mode.  This would cause the module to
do strange things if it ran at all.

>From address@hidden Fri Apr  3 04: 11:13 1995
>Tom, Thanks very much for your prompt and informative reply.
>Regards, Mark Miller

Tom Yoksas