Re: 950308: netCDF FORTRAN Jacket not made

>From: address@hidden (Michael H T Pham)

Hi Michael,

> I cannot make FORTRAN JACKET!  I have added FC = /local/comp/f77 to Makefile
> for our environment.  I also added FC into CUSTOMIZE before the "configure"
> command.

You should not have to edit the Makefile at all on any of our supported
platforms.  You haven't said what platform (machine, operating system
version) you are trying to build netCDF on, but I assume it's a Sun from the
fact you have set OS=sunos.  The Makefiles are generated during the
`configure' step, and generally should not be edited by hand.  If a change
is needed to the resulting Makefile, it's better to just `make clean' from
the top-level, then make the necessary change to the CUSTOMIZE file, then
rerun `configure' to get the change incorporated into the Makefiles.  Then
running `make all' and `make test' should build and test the system and
`make install' should install, it.

>           This is what I get:
>
> cd ../fortran
> # make OS=sunos
> `netcdf.inc' is up to date.
> cc -c -I../libsrc  -DNO_HAVE_PROTOTYPES -Dconst= -DNO_STDARG -DNO_STRERROR -O
> ackets.c
> jackets.c: 2032: undefined control
> jackets.c: 2033: undefined control

The line numbers referenced here are beyond the end of the jackets.c file
that should have been generated during the `make all' step.  I suspect that
binary data has somehow been appended to the end of this file.  The last 3
lines in the jackets.c file should look something like:

        *rcode = ncerr;
        return (-1);
    }

The file will be deleted by `make clean' and regenerated by the `make all'
step above after the `configure' step.  If it still contains garbage at the
end, we'll need to know the platform you're using and details of how you
have set up the CUSTOMIZE file to further diagnose the error.  We may also
need to have you test the m4 macroprocessor that is used to generate
jackets.c from jackets.src.

Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/                          Boulder, CO 80307-3000