Re: NOAA COOP profile for netCDF

Hi Steve,

> Working as a group several NOAA outfits (CDC, Boulder; PMEL, Seattle; NCDC,
> Asheville) and University partners (JISAO/U.Wash; CIRES/U.Colo) have pulled
> together a "COOP" standard for netCDF files in meteorology and oceanography.
>  We've tried to do quite a careful job of this so it may be useful to others.
>  Also, this standard will be the foundation of a shared netCDF file strategy
> --
> based heavily on Web data sharing (see
>    http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/ferret/main-menu.html    for one example of the
> style of netCDF access that will be provided).

Wow, this is very impressive.

> The on-line standards document will be maintained at
>
> ==>    http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/noaa_coop/coop_cdf_profile.html
>
> with links (to be installed soon) from our COOP home page (currently in draft
> form) at
>
>        http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/~jac/coop/coop-home.shtml
>
> Any comments you'd like to offer would be appreciated -- as well as advice
> about where this document should be posted.  For sure, some kind of link
> in the Unidata netCDF "conventions" area would make sense.  Also a posting
> to the netcdf users group when the COOP page is ready for a public
> release.

We're about to have the first meeting in a year of our local netCDF
conventions group, consisting of participants from four institutions, to
wrap up our conventions for georeferencing gridded data using a "navigation"
dimension and to begin consideration of conventions for storing satellite
image data in netCDF form.  I've forwarded your note to this group, since
our aims are similar, but your group has completed something significant.

I'll be looking at your document in more detail and getting feedback to you
over the next week or so.  I agree that we should have a link to your
conventions.

Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/                          Boulder, CO 80307-3000