950112: NetCDF - I do not want FORTRAN

In the above message you wrote:

>...  But I do not plan on using the FORTRAN interface to
>netCDF, so I like to just disable that.  I go into CUSTOMIZE and attempt
>to set "FC" to nothing
>

>CUSTOMIZE
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

># This file is for customizing the configuation process performed by
># `./configuration'.  This file consists of sh(1) variable-definition lines.
># The value given to those variables by this file will override their default
># values.
>#
># You can also customize the configuration process via the environment
># variables seen by ./configure.  For example:
>#
>#     In csh(1):
>#        % setenv CC acc
>#        & setenv CFLAGS -g
>#        % ./configure
>#
>#     In sh(1):
>#        $ CC=acc CFLAGS=-g ./configure
>#
># Variables in this file override the environmental ones.
>#
>#############################################################################
>#
># Type of C compiler (default is `cc'):
># CC='gcc -traditional'
>#
># C compiler flags (default is `-O'):
># CFLAGS=-g
>#
># C preprocessor flags (default is `-DNDEBUG'):
># CPPFLAGS=-DDEBUG
>#
># Installation prefix (default is `..'):
># prefix=/usr/local/unidata
>#
># Whether to use the old floating-point fill values for backward
># compatibility (see INSTALL).  Uncomment to obtain the pre-2.3 default,
># floating-point fill values.
># OLD_FILLVALUES=yes
>
>FC=""
>

>I also tried
>
>FC=''
>
>after doing "make distclean" and running configure after that
>
>That didn't work.

You are correct: setting the FC variable to the empty string doesn't
disable the FORTRAN interface in the netCDF 2.3.2 distribution.  For
what it's worth, it is fixed in the next release.

I suggest manually editing the file fortran/Makefile and setting the FC
macro to the empty string.  You'll find the definition on line 82.
Change it from

    FC              = f77

    FC              =

Then, go to the top-level source directory and execute `make all test'.
You shouldn't be bothered by anything FORTRAN.

If you rerun the `configure' script, then you'll have to reset the FC
variable to the empty string again.  For a more permanent solution, you
can zero it in the master makefile port/master.mk.in.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>