Re: Trying to compile with gc

Hi,

> I'm trying to instal netcdf on a SPARK 10 running Solaris 2.3
> We do not have the SPARC Compiler licensed and at present we
> are exclusively using gnu
>
> Even by setting the compiler variable CC in the CUSTOMIZE file
> to gcc or interactively calling the configure script and setting
> the compiler variable...configure fails by attempting to run the
> SPARK compiler will then reports there is a problem with the license.
>
> As a result no makfile is created
>
> Is there an easy cure ?

I can't duplicate the problem you are reporting.  I just tried running the
netCDF "configure" after uncommenting the line

    CC='gcc -traditional'

in the CUSTOMIZE file and it worked fine using gcc.  I had previously
removed from my PATH the directory in which the Sun compiler is found, to
make sure it was only using the gcc compiler, and verified that that's what
was used.  I did have to add the following lines to the CUSTOMIZE file
to indicate which operating system and Fortran compiler to use (I indicated
no Fortran compiler, implying no Fortran interface would be built):

    OS=sunos
    FC=""

Then by running the `configure' command, all the Makefiles were created with
CC properly defined in terms of gcc, and "make" worked fine to build the
libraries and programs with no errors.  We are using a slightly out-of-date
version of gcc:

    % gcc -v
    Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sun4-solaris/2.5.4/specs
    gcc version 2.5.4

but that shouldn't make any difference.  Are you sure gcc is in your PATH?
When you run "which gcc" and "which cc", what are the resulting outputs?

--
Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000