Re: unable to access Jenter et al (1992)

Hi Peter,

> I am currently assessing available software which is capable of handling
> time series (and other scientific) data. Among my list of likely candidates
> is HDF and netCDF.  Having recently connected to your WWW site
> (gopher://groucho.unidata.ucar.edu:70/00/publications/factsheets/netcdf/netc
> df.README file), I saw reference to the introductory article:
>

> Jenter, H. L. and R. P. Signell, 1992. "NetCDF: A Freely-Available
> Software-Solution to Data-Access Problems for Numerical Modelers".
> Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers Conference on
> Estuarine and Coastal Modeling. Tampa, Florida.
>

> In the WWW page,  it was stated that the paper is available via anonymous
> FTP from
>
> host: crusty.er.usgs.gov
> file: pub/netcdf.asce.ps
>
> Having successfully logged into the site, and changed to the pub directory,
> I was unable to GET the file.  Here is a transcript of the error I recieved
>
> FTP> get netcdf.asce.ps
> %UCX-E-FTP_OPNOUT, Error opening for output : NETCDF.ASCE.PS
> %RMS-F-SYN, file specification syntax error
>
> Would this error be caused by the fact that the file was given two suffixes?

It's possible, if the system on which you are trying to store a copy of the
file doesn't permit filenames with multiple suffixes.  Some FTP clients
perform automatic name mangling to solve such problems; others don't.
Perhaps you should try specifying the destination name as the second
parameter to the FTP GET command, as in:

  FTP> get netcdf.asce.ps netcdf.ps

which should store the file as "netcdf.ps".

>  Could you please recommend a means for me to obtain the file, as I think it
> would be very worthwhile.  Thanks in advance for any help.

If the above suggestion doesn't work, let me know and I'll make it available
from our FTP area using a simpler name.

--
Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000