Re: Help me !

To: address@hidden

Hi,

> I am installing the netCDF on IBM RS 6000 running
> AIX 3.2, and my final goal is installation of GMT
> ( Generic Mapping Tool ) for my further research.
> However, the following message was shown at the initial
> stage of installation of netCDF,
>
>  ./configure --prefix=/home/kilee/GMT/netcdf-2.3.2
>
> - ---- message ----
>
> ./configure: Can't find program `neqn'; setting to `cat'
> ./configure: Can't find program `tbl'; setting to `cat'

Do you have /bin in your execution path?  On our AIX 3.2 system, neqn is in
/bin/neqn and tbl is in /bin/tbl.  If you "echo $PATH", one of the
directories in the resulting list should be "/bin".  If it is not, you will
need to set your path correctly in your .cshrc or .profile file.

If you have /bin in your path but /bin/neqn and /bin/tbl don't exist on your
system, perhaps these were not installed in order to save disk space.  That
should be OK too for netCDF.  These really aren't needed except to produce a
formatted version of man page documentation.  When the "configure" script
substitutes "cat" for these, it's not an error, the message is merely
informing you that they couldn't be found so it will use "cat" instead when
the time comes to format the man page for documentation.

> As results, at the stage of make and tail process,
> " returning ... /doc " was stopped and failed installation.

That's is not an error message indicating any sort of failure, it is the
normal message emitted at the end of the make process, to indicate that make
is done in the doc directory and is returning to the top-level directory.

To see if your build worked OK, you should run "make test".  You should also
be aware of the following problem we have seen with AIX systems and use the
suggested workaround if you see this problem:

       We have observed a problem with the optimizer in the C compiler of
       AIX 3.2. The default for our configure script is to specify
       optimization by using the "-O" compiler flag, but that causes the
       netCDF library to be built incorrectly under AIX 3.2, with the
       symptom that "make test" will fail even though there are no
       compile or link errors when building from source. A workaround is
       to build the netCDF library with CFLAGS="" (or "-g") explicitly,
       by setting the environment variable CFLAGS to "" or "-g" before
       invoking configure, or by using one of the other methods suggested
       in the INSTALL file to prevent the use of the "-O" flag for
       compilation. The specific file that is incorrectly compiled with
       "-O" is libsrc/string.c, so another workaround is to just compile
       that file without "-O".

--
Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000