Re: Getting started with ncvptg

> From: address@hidden (John Sheldon)
> Subject: Getting started with ncvptg
> To: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 11:30:41 -0400 (EDT)
>
> Hi-
>
> I have been using netCDF for some time now quite successfully, albeit
> in a rather plain-vanilla mode.  In fact, based on my testimonial,
> our entire lab is on the verge of a mass adoption of netCDF for all
> data storage. Kudos!
>
> As part of this shift, I am attempting to address some of the more
> unusual data arrangements used by some of the scientists here. I recently
> tried to get started with the generalized-hyperslab-handling routines
> to move vertical slabs (ie, (i,k,j)) of model data out to a more
> traditional (i,j,k) netCDF file.  However, I kept getting a
> "Segmentation fault".  So, I backed up and just tried replacing my NCVPT
> call with an NCVPTG call with the ISTRIDE and IMAP arrays populated with
> 0's to obtain the "default behavior".  Still no luck - same error.
>
> I know this is a complicated mapping process, and I may not fully
> appreciate it yet.  Are there any known problems or hints not posted
> to the manual, FAQ, or netcdfgroup? (I checked those first.)  If I
> can't get the default behavior to behave, I am at a bit of a loss.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> John P. Sheldon
> Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory
> P.O. Box 308
> Princeton, NJ  08542
>
> (609) 987-5053
> address@hidden

i really need a lot more information to figure out what is going on.  first
of all, what platform are you on.  second, are you trying to write the
stuff back into the original file (will not work unless j and k are the
same size).  also, a code sample will be most helpful.

mitch
Mitchell S. Baltuch                        Unidata Program Center
Software Engineer                          Univ. Corp for Atmospheric Research
address@hidden                     WWW: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/