Re: hdf, netCDF, and perl5

Phil,

> Now that perl has the ability to link C libraries,
> we are considering implementing the netCDF filters described
> in ncopers.txt using perl5.  I'd like to hear from
> anyone who may be considering this, or might be interested
> in helping.

I think this sounds great.  We have some perl4 decoders for meteorological
surface and upper air station data.  I had always thought this was an
excellent way to write such decoders to take advantage of perl's facilities
for parsing and use of regular expressions, except that it was awkward to
write netCDF output.  Having netCDF I/O available from perl would make me
recommend this approach to writing and maintaining decoders for our near
real-time meteorological data acquisition and management system.

Also once the data was available from perl, it seems like it would be fairly
straightforward to do the kinds of data manipulation that the netCDF
operators were specified to provide.

I haven't gotten and built perl5 yet and am not facile enough with perl to
be of much help.  Perhaps we could help in testing such a package by trying
to implement some decoders using it.  Or if we could pointing others who
might help to your efforts by including an email address for volunteering in
our netCDF WWW pages, perhaps we could be of some help.  If anything is
needed on the netCDF library side to facilitate your efforts, please let me
know.

--
Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000