Re: netcdf-hdf

Hi Zhi,

> I am trying to install netCDF, but when I execute "make all" under the
> directory /home/local/HDF3.3r3/mfhdf, the following error message is shown:
>
> making `all' in directory /home/local/HDF3.3r3/mfhdf/port
>
> ar rcuv libudport.a uddummy.o
> ranlib libudport.a
>
> returning to directory /home/local/HDF3.3r3/mfhdf
>

> making `all' in directory /home/local/HDF3.3r3/mfhdf/xdr
>

> returning to directory /home/local/HDF3.3r3/mfhdf
>

> making `all' in directory /home/local/HDF3.3r3/mfhdf/libsrc
>
> cc -c   -DNDEBUG -DHDF -DNO_HAVE_PROTOTYPES -Dconst= -DNO_STDARG
> -DNO_STRERROR -g -I/hdf/install/include -DSUN array.c
> ./local_nc.h: 48: Can't find include file hdf.h
> ./local_nc.h: 49: Can't find include file vg.h
> ./local_nc.h: 50: Can't find include file herr.h

Sorry, but I think this is an HDF-related error, not a netCDF-related error.

I would guess that the "I/hdf/install/include" is wrong, either because you
are using a different pathname for the HDF installation point or because you
haven't yet installed the underlying HDF support.

I think you'll have to ask the HDF support people at NCSA, because we don't
know how they set up their installation system.  What you are installing is
the NCSA implementation of a netCDF interface on top of the HDF file format.
This uses the same C and Fortran interfaces as our netCDF library, but it
writes HDF files rather than netCDF files.

--
Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000