Re: netCDF

Hi Joel,

> I am investigate data format conversion utilties on the behalf of
> researchers at the Minnesota Supercomputer Institute which includes,
> or course, netCDF and related utilities.
>
> I was hoping that you could do me the favor of answering some questions
> about netCDF use.
>
> 1) What types of data are people currently storing in the netCDF format.
>
> 2) Do you have any frequecy of use for the different types ?

The netcdfgroup and netcdfdigest mailing lists have over 300 addresses (some
of which are aliases to more addresses) in fifteen countries. Several groups
have adopted netCDF as a standard way to represent some forms of scientific
data.

A list of some of the projects and groups that are using netCDF is available
in two forms:

  1. as a WWW document from the URL
     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/usage.html
  2. as plain text from pub/netcdf/usage.txt on ftp.unidata.ucar.edu

These list some of the ways in which netCDF is currently used.  We don't
have any statistics on frequency of use, since the software is freely
available and is not instrumented to report on usage.

--
Russ Rew                                                   UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                             P.O. Box 3000