Re: OK, I've uploaded the tarfile.

Dave,

> You can protect that directory again.  Let me know when you have it moved
> to the contrib directory, so I can start telling people where it is.  My
> experience has been that a flurry of changes tends to come right after
> publically releasing something and other people start using it, so if you
> don't want to put it in contrib for that reason, let me know that too.

OK, it's moved to pub/netcdf/contrib/ncview.tar.Z on ftp.unidata.ucar.edu,
and I've put an entry in the netcdf/contrib/README as well as the HTML
source from which it is derived:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/utilities.html

I checked that it uncompresses and untars OK, but haven't tried to build it
yet.

We have the same experience of a flurry of updates after a release.  We can
deal with that as long as you don't do daily updates for too long.  I
decided to leave ~ftp/incoming/pierce/ writable for that reason for a while
longer, to permit you to upload new versions until things settle down.  If
that directory fills up with unsavory gif images uploaded by net pranksters,
as happened once before with another writable FTP directory, I'll make it
unwritable again.

Feel free to announce ncview with a note to netcdfgroup.  Thanks again for
making this available.

--Russ