Re: netCDF problem using Borland C

Hi Keith,

> i'm using the Borland port of netCDF. when i
> call ncopen using a valid pointer to a string
> and the NC_NOWRITE flag, it outputs:
>
> ncopen: NC_new_string
>
> this is after the third successful call to
> ncopen. any idea of what the output means?

Looking at the source code in netcdf/libsrc/string.c, it appears that the
only way this could happen is if a memory allocation fails when malloc() is
called to get some memory in which to store a string, presumably for the
name of the file.

Is it possible your program is very close to being out of memory when you
make this call?  In that case, the fact that it failed in ncopen() is just a
coincidence, and it would have failed somewhere else a little later if you
had a bit more memory.

Otherwise, I can't figure out from the information you sent what the problem
is.  We have no Borland platforms here for testing, so we can't duplicate
the problem.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000