Re: netCDF utility

In the above message you wrote:

>I am attempting to install the netCDF utility on a Convex 210.
>The installation fails on a "make all".  The error message is attached.
>Would you please give me some advice on how to install this program?

See below.

>I would also like to make this application available to only a few
>users and not system-wide.  What is the best way of going about this?
>(i.e., can I skip the install procedure and just assign the location of
>the utility to the user's path?

I suggest that you install the netCDF package in its own directory
hierarchy and then add the `bin/' installation subdirectory to the PATH
of the appropriate users.  By default, the netCDF installation procedure
will install components in subdirectories that are peers of the
top-level source directory.  For your setup, this would be the subdirectories
`bin/', `lib/', `include/', and `man/' in
`/tmp_mnt/sc2/apps/unicon/netcdf/'.  If this is satisfactory, then I
wouldn't do anything.  If not, they you can specify the root directory of the
installation by using the `--prefix' option of the `configure' script,
e.g.:

        % ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf

See the INSTALL file for additional information on this topic.

>making `all' in directory /tmp_mnt/sc2/apps/unicon/netcdf/netcdf-2.3.2/xdr
>
>cc -c -I/usr/include/rpc -DNDEBUG -O xdr.c
>cc -c -I/usr/include/rpc -DNDEBUG -O xdrfloat.c
>cc -c -I/usr/include/rpc -DNDEBUG -O xdrstdio.c
>cc: Error on line 171 of /usr/include/sys/types.h: 'u_char' redeclared:
>declaration as typedef can't override previous declaration.
>cc: Error on line 172 of /usr/include/sys/types.h: 'u_short' redeclared:
>declaration as typedef can't override previous declaration.
>cc: Error on line 173 of /usr/include/sys/types.h: 'u_int' redeclared:
>declaration as typedef can't override previous declaration.
>cc: Error on line 174 of /usr/include/sys/types.h: 'u_long' redeclared:
>declaration as typedef can't override previous declaration.
>cc: Error on line 177 of /usr/include/sys/types.h: 'caddr_t' redeclared:
>declaration as typedef can't override previous declaration.
>*** Exit 1
>`../libsrc/libnetcdf.a' not built due to errors
>*** Exit 1
>`all' not built due to errors
>*** Exit 1
>`all' not built due to errors

In order to help you, I'll need to understand the include-file
dependencies and sequences on your platform.  Therefore, would you
please send me the output from a `make xdrstdio.i' in the `xdr/'
subdirectory.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>