netCDF problem on HPUX

Hi Willa,

> I'm having problem with creating netCDF file on a HP when the file name
> is more than 14 characters long.   (I don't have no probelm when the
> file name is less than 14 characters.) The problem is that instead of
> generating one output file,  several output files will be generated.
> Here is the output result of my program which writes some global
> attribute, axes and 2 variables:
>
> - -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Output file:
>
> 1. file1_file2_ctd_data.cdf
>
>    This is the file I asked to create, but it only contains following
>    these lines:
>
>       netcdf file1_file2_ctd_data {
>
>       variables:
>       }
>
> 2. file1_file2_ctSS
>
>    This file contains dimenstions, variables and data for axes, and also
>    contains global attributes.
>
> 3. file1_file2_ctTy
>
>    This file contains every thing in above file plus variables and data
>    for the first variable.
>
> 4. file1_file2_ct
>
>    This file contains every thing in above file plus variables and data
>    for the second variable.  This file is exactly what I want except the
>    file name is not right.
>
> - -------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> I tried ncgen program, it works fine no matter how long the output file
> name is.   Can anyone give me some suggestion what might be wrong?
> Thanks.

The current version of the HPUX operating system provides an incorrect
definition of the FILENAME_MAX macro. This results in the symptom that the
ncredef() function does not work properly when invoked from a directory
other than the one the open netCDF file is in. A workaround is to apply the
following patch that adds four lines to the file netcdf/libsrc/local_nc.h
before rebuilding the library:

diff -c -r1.39 local_nc.h
*** /tmp/T0a004uN       Tue Mar  8 11:14:12 1994
--- local_nc.h  Wed Feb  9 15:56:36 1994
***************
*** 12,17 ****
--- 12,21 ----

  #include      <stddef.h> /* size_t */
  #include      <stdio.h> /* FILENAME_MAX */
+ #if defined(_HPUX_SOURCE) && FILENAME_MAX < 255
+ /* Arrgh. HP thinks FILENAME_MAX is _POSIX_NAME_MAX */
+ #undef FILENAME_MAX
+ #endif
  #ifndef FILENAME_MAX
  #define FILENAME_MAX  255
  #endif

If it still doesn't work after applying this patch, please let us know.
Thanks.

>Date: Tue, 8 Mar 94 10:32:24 PST
>From: address@hidden (Willa Zhu)
>Russ,
>The patch does fix the problem.  Thanks.
- Willa
Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program