another netCDF convert

------- Forwarded Message

>From address@hidden Tue Feb 22 07:59:42 1994
From: address@hidden (Modular Ocean Diagnosis System)
Subject: adopting netCDF

     Dear Fellows,

     After a lengthy perusal of several "database management systems" for
     storing and retrieving our oceanographic data (measurements and
     model generated) I came across with the netCDF software and discovered
     that netCDF is just what I was looking for.  I think that the
     UNIDATA group has done a superb job in developing this software.
     Although I am not expert in using netCDF yet, I have done some
     reading and done some tests that clearly indicate to me that this
     is the way to go.

     We are interdisciplinary modeling group with a lot of experience in
     ocean data analysis and forecasting.  Our Harvard's Generic Ocean
     Estimation System (GOES) is very complex because it is a multicomponent
     system that includes our statistical, dynamical, and interdisciplinary
     (acoustical and biogeochemical/ecosystem) model hierarchy. In addition,
     we have multipurpose application modules that are use during pre-
     and post-processing, data assimilation, and data fusion.  One of the
     major attributes of GOES is its portability and its efficiency.  We
     have designed a in house data format to store and retrieve all our
     data but it have some deficiencies.  We have decided to replace it
     with the netCDF.  We have big task ahead in doing so. I will start
     implementing netCDF one module at the time.  Our first module is
     our Primitive Equation (PE) model and its pre- and post-processing
     packages.

                                         Hernan G. Arango
                                         Division of Applied Sciences
                                         Harvard University