Re: netCDF C++ problems

Mike,

> >> failure to make c++ examples. . .
> >>
> >> I am using a sun sparcstation running sparc-sun-sunos4.1.1
> >>
> >> I was trying to make the c++ examples in netcdf-2.3.2/c++ using
> >> gcc-2.5.8, but failed with the following output from 'make all'.
> >>

> Deleting the typdef clears up the problem of making netcdf, but I am still
> having a problem with c++.  The output of make all in c++ is:
>
> gcc -g -I/home/solar/rilee/include  -sun4 -c  netcdf.cc

I've built and installed gcc-2.5.8, and tried it on the netcdf/c++
directory, by specifying CCC=g++ on the make line, with the following
result:

    % make CCC=g++
    g++ -g -I../libsrc   -c  netcdf.cc
    In file included from netcdf.hh:14,
                     from netcdf.cc:12:
    ncvalues.hh:13: generic.h: No such file or directory
    ncvalues.hh:14: iostream.h: No such file or directory
    ncvalues.hh:15: strstream.h: No such file or directory
    *** Error code 1

This indicates to me that the problem is not the g++ compiler from the
gcc-2.5.8 distribution, but rather the fact that we lack the libg++ class
libraries for g++, which would contain the necessary include files.  We have
these include files for the Sun CC compiler, but I know they would not
work for use with g++.

If you have the necessary class libraries, try compiling with g++ rather
than gcc and see if that gets around your problems, assuming you have libg++
properly installed.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000