Re: How do you force usage of your source-code XDR library?

>From: address@hidden (Timothy Williams)

Tim,

>I am trying to build NetCDF using your supplied sources for the XDR
>functions.  The system I'm building on (Cray C90) has an XDR library
>that your scripts think is okay, but I don't want to use it--I want to
>force compilation of your sources like xdrarray.c, etc., and building of
>a new XDR library.
>
>How do I force this?  I couldn't find insructions in README, INSTALL, or
>the NetCDF document about how to force building XDR from the sources on
>machines where your scripts want to use the vendor-supplied libraries.

You would force it by defining the Makefile macro XDR_LIBOBJS in the
xdr/ subdirectory to be a blank seperated list of all possible .o (object)
files in the xdr subdirectory with the exception of xdrtest (this would
be the relocatable for an executable, not a part of the library).

A quick follow-up comment about doing this on a Cray.  We don't believe that
this is what you want to do since the XDR package that we distribute does
not understand the Cray floating point format (nor 64-bit integers for that
matter) format.  If you decide to override the use of your Cray-native XDR
implementation, you will undoubtedly need to do a lot of work on the xdr source
in order to make things work.  We strongly suggest NOT doing this.

Tom Yoksas